Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 2 13 1:07 AM

Tags : :

Anyone seen it in real life? Has anyone ever seen a complete digital copy? This combines two of my all time favourite things Comics and Jean Rollin! From what I have seen this comic looks just amazing! My secret fantasy would be to see it reprinted and an English language edition made available as well. *sigh* unlikely. image
Wikipedia article.
A page example from this site: http://bxzzines.blogspot.co.nz/2008/06/saga-de-xam.html

Last Edited By: Drawward Sep 2 13 1:11 AM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Sep 2 13 11:56 PM

I didn't even know the existence of such thing. Is it a comic about Jean Rollin ?

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

- Youri Radionow, in "Le lac des morts-vivants"

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 3 13 1:07 AM

He wrote it! from wikipedia

Saga de Xam is a French comic by Jean Rollin and Nicholas Devil, published in 1967 by the publisher Eric Losfeld.Written by the film director and writer Rollin and illustrated by the mysterious artist Devil, is the fantastic story of Saga, the girl with the blue skin from planet Xam. Is one of the rarest and most authentic examples of psychedelic graphic novel, which represents numerous cultural issues typical of the second half of the sixties. The beautiful pages of "Saga" were originally drawn on large size sheets, that have been reduced to a “book” size, resulting in a very small text, as the book needed to have a magnifier enclosed to read most of the captions and dialogues. The book, printed on paper of 300 grams, is extremely rare and has long been quite sought after by collectors around the world.

What i find quiet interesting is that the comic predates his directing career (or does it?) by about a year. Imagine if he had stayed in comics. I wonder why he never tried his hand writing comics again in the 1980s when he was writing prose. Oh well I guess he never found a collaborator he could work with to help realise his vision.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 3 13 2:51 AM

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 3 13 6:24 AM

An international re-release of this would be absolutely amazing.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Sep 6 13 2:26 PM

I picked up a nice copy on abebooks.com a few years ago for around 200 USD.  I went ahead and splurged figuring I wouldn't have an opportunity to grab it for such a low price again.  I'm glad I did.  It really is a beautiful book.  I'd love to see an English version some day.  And, Drawward, I completely agree with you on the idea of a Rollin/Moebius collaboration.  That would have been out of this world!

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 6 13 6:27 PM

That's awesome Blazed!  200 isn't a bad price either compared to what I have seen it going for.  If you ever wanna share any scans we would all love to see them.  Welcome to the board btw!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Oct 4 13 3:34 AM

Just bought one on ebay Belgium! (113,61 EUR)

The cover is a bit torn but it's not too bad...

I've just learned that Catherine Deville who plays in "Le viol du vampire" was artist Nicolas Devil / Deville's wife!

Both he and Philippe Druillet were there during the shooting. Rollin said he set up a contest between them to decide who would make the poster.
Druillet won, of course but I suppose Devil made some projects which I'd love to see!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 4 13 2:10 PM

Valor
Rollin said he set up a contest between them to decide who would make the poster.
Druillet won, of course but I suppose Devil made some projects which I'd love to see!

Well, in fact I think Devil never made any: in this interview conducted in 1999, Jean said: "Le premier projet sérieux et fini qui est arrivé, c'était celui de Philippe Druillet. Et quand on l'a vu, on a dit : Ne cherchons pas plus loin, c'est l'affiche".

("The first serious and completed project that arrived was Philippe Druillet's. And when we saw it, we said: No need to look further, this is the poster")

BTW, I think it hasn't been mentioned here yet that Druillet collaborated to "Saga de Xam" (he actually made one black & white drawing)

See HERE for more information and an interesting interview on his work on "Le Viol du vampire".

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 5 13 12:37 AM

Congratulations Valor !

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Oct 10 13 10:21 AM

Valor wrote:
 I think it hasn't been mentioned here yet that Druillet collaborated to "Saga de Xam" (he actually made one black & white drawing)

See HERE for more information and an interesting interview on his work on "Le Viol du vampire".

Many thanks for this, Valor, great to read this. I've been a big fan of Druillet ever since I picked up the English translations of the Lone Sloane stories as a kid in the seventies. I was amazed when, some years after discovering Rollin, I finally found out that they had worked together. Those posters are just wonderful.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help