Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 5 13 2:08 PM

Tags : :

They both had their surreal and delirious moments, but who is the most mind-bending director of the two?

Whose films were more surrealist, Jean Rollin's or Jess Franco's? (Result)

--------------
"Doesn't thinkin' like that give ya nightmares?"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 6 13 3:05 AM

Bit of a no-brainer of a question on this forum, surely, although it's still an interesting one to think about...

I love both directors, but if we're talking 'surrealism', going for Rollin seemed an obvious choice to me.

Whilst Franco certainly made a few films that rival or perhaps even beat Rollin in terms of sheer, out of control weirdness ("The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein" springs to mind), I think he generally preferred to create a more introspective, earth-bound atmosphere of psycho-sexual delirium. As far as I know, he didn't much share Rollin's background & interest in capital 'S' Surrealism, and he never really went out of his way to fill his films with the kind of phantasmagorical / fantastique imagery that Rollin loved so much.

Last Edited By: BWHaggar Nov 6 13 3:08 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 6 13 6:23 AM

Very hard to choose, went for Jean.

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

- Youri Radionow, in "Le lac des morts-vivants"

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 6 13 8:44 AM

I chose Jean myself, though Franco is a close runner up for me.  Rollin's work had a more sustained surrealism over the course of his career, whereas Franco would bounce between surrealism and more prosaic subject matter.  A few that come to mind that come close to Rollin's delirious excess are "Vampyros Lesbos," "Miss Muerte" and, as BWHaggar mentioned, "Erotic Rites of Frankenstein".  Next to "Rape of the Vampire," "Erotic Rites" must surely be one of the most bizarre European horror films ever made.

--------------
"Doesn't thinkin' like that give ya nightmares?"

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help