Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 25 13 5:27 PM

Tags : :

Hi guys!  Just curious if anyone has seen any of Jean's films on 35mm theatrical prints.  Kind of a two-pronged curiosity...I want to know what they looked like, how they were cut etc., but I'm equally interested in just locating and preserving them...hell...maybe just knowing they exist is enough! 

The major films definitely had theatrical releases, and even in the U.S., Requiem was released under the bizarre "Caged Virgins" moniker (though if I found one of these, I'd be a bit scared to see what kind of liberties the editor had taken...seeing as it's "a version they'd happily apply that title to!")

Bottom line, I am really interested in locating prints before they get uh...more lost?   Is that a concept?!  I don't even think Redemption has them - just the negatives, which is obviously the most important bit, but still, nobody at Kino is going to be financing new prints for theatrical presentation in the age of digital projection at $30K a pop, so what's on planet Earth is probably it for Rollin on 35mm...
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Oct 27 13 5:07 AM

Never seen some ...
Yeah, "Caged Virgins" is a pretty strange name for a Rollin movie, it sounds more like a WIP Jess Franco movie.

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

- Youri Radionow, in "Le lac des morts-vivants"

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 27 13 1:16 PM

I saw DEMONIAQUES under the title "Curse of the Living Dead" at a downtown Los Angeles theater in 1986. It was dubbed into English and appeared to have been cut for an R rating. I believe Something Weird used the vey same print for their VHS release, as it was missing the same material. I also saw "Caged Virgins" at an American Cinematheque screening. It was missing the same footage as the old VHS release--cut for ratings board consideration and pacing. I seem to remember the approximate running time to be only 65 minutes or so. Also dubbed in English. No idea where these prints might reside currently.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 28 13 12:15 AM

Strange thing with "Les démoniaques" : the Blu-Ray cut is even longer than the "uncut" DVD version.

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Oct 28 13 12:41 AM

The "Cinémathèque Française" in Paris probably has them all... I saw beautiful 35 mm prints of "Le Frisson" and "Le Viol" there.

The "Cinémathèque Française" in Toulouse bought all the 35 mm prints Jean kept... in his kitchen! All I could find when the sales started was this empty box:

Happy to have it though!

@Martin: read Marshall Crist's post on the Latarnia Forums :

"Just had a look at the DEMONIAQUES Blu-ray, and what an interesting variant it is. It has the "extra" dialogue scene in the abbey (inexplicably missing from the old Redemption R1 DVD) but it also has an INCREDIBLY long version of the scene where Joelle Coeur masturbates on the beach as the two girls are being raped at the end of the film. This scene is missing entirely from most versions and was presented as a separate "deleted scene" on the Encore release. It just goes on and on. In a couple of shots you can see tourists wandering around in the distance. Still, I can't help but wonder if maybe this IS the "definitive" version. In the old Phil Hardy book, the running time for this movie is listed as 100 minutes, and now (possibly for the first time) it runs exactly that length."

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 28 13 4:36 AM

Yes, I was talking about these scenes :)

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 29 13 7:32 AM

Thanks for the input.  I'm happy to know that someone has them properly archived!  That 35mm canister is awesome regardless of what's inside!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help