Lead

Aug 27 13 6:11 AM

Tags : :

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 28 13 4:35 PM

This is the only film Rollin put his name to that I consider an outright failure. There are some good moments at the very beginning in the sanatorium as well as at the ice rink, and it's always good to see Brigitte Lahaie again, but the rest of the film feels dull and unfocused. Nice that it's now available on Netflix though.

--------------
"Doesn't thinkin' like that give ya nightmares?"

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 28 13 4:51 PM

Re: Les paumées du petit matin (The Escapees) 1981

I like it a bit more than you but I do agree it is among Rollin's weaker works. Redemption announced via their Facebook page that this will be coming out on Blu next year btw.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Yuku app

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 29 13 1:46 AM

It's not that bad, but I don't really like the ambiance. I prefer when it takes place in the countryside.

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

- Youri Radionow, in "Le lac des morts-vivants"

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 29 13 4:56 AM

I think Rollin summed it up best in Virgins and Vampires when he wrote that the film was, "a bit of a disaster" but that "certain scenes emerged". 
It's honestly not a film I revisit much, although I am looking forward to the Blu next year, as the DVD looked pretty lifeless.  There are absolutely moments in the film that I value like the ice skating section mentioned earlier and I love the bizarre travelling fair sequence and some of the early shots around the asylum. 
The film does have its staunch supporters.  Check out this great piece that Ben Haggar wrote for my blog Fascination on the film awhile back.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 29 13 9:15 AM

I think it's a pretty good film, my least favorite of his major releases would "La fiancée de Dracula" (I know I don't have a good taste.

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 16 13 3:47 AM

Thanks for the link Jeremy!

And yes, I like 'The Escapees' a lot, and am quite surprised that it's held in such low esteem by many fans. Personally, I tend to see it as being quite similar to "Night of the Hunted" - a deeply flawed film, made under difficult & impoverished circumstances, but nonetheless one with many beautiful moments in which the main themes behind Rollin's work come through with great emotional power. Much of the script seems to deal with what happens when the romantic ideals of Rollin's horror films are transposed to a grim and abusive reality - an idea that hits me pretty hard - and I think that the scenes around the travelling carnival and Louise Dhour's bar have a wonderful feel to them... just last week, I was going through the screen shots I took from the movie, marvelling at how surprisingly evocative and well-executed some of the shot compositions are.

But anyway.... if I ramble on further I'll just end up repeating the stuff I said in the review linked above, so let's just say that, for me, this one stands alongside "..Hunted" and "Living Dead Girl" as one of Jean Rollin's best post-1980 films, and leave it at that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Sep 19 13 3:38 PM

I've only watched this once and didn't rate it too highly. A few of the scenes have stuck in my memory though so I'll definitely revisit when the BluRay comes out

This post on AVManiacs suggests that the BluRay is scheduled for July 2014

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 20 13 7:14 AM

Thanks for the info and link Barrow!  Even though it isn't one of my favorites I am absolutely looking forward to the Blu.  Fingers crossed for some quality extras and that it isn't the only Rollin release for 2014!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 21 13 11:06 AM

I endlessly wait for a disc release of "Phantasmes". I think nobody wants to re-release it because it contains some hardcore material.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 22 13 6:21 AM

More and more companies, here in the states at least, seem willing to release films containing hardcore material so I am holding out hope that this film will eventually see the quality release it deserves.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help