Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 25 13 10:58 AM

Tags : :

Hello everyone!

My name is Matt.  I'm very appreciative of this forum, and for Mr. Richey and all his many hours of enthusiastic development of "Rollin-related" culture. In my view, Rollin is all too often clumped together with "horror", and sadly, held to that inept standard despite his works being totally exemplary of a vision that transcends the simplicity of blood and gore (not that there is anything particularly wrong with blood and gore, but I mean to say, there is a certain depth to Rollin's visions that are too often over-shadowed by the trappings of genre expectations and elements that exist on top of his fantastic fabric of dreams rippling below it).  There seem to be only a small contingent of people out there (many of whom also appreciate "horror" too!) that look at Rollin within this context, and see him as a visual poet more than a gore hound (I'm just using these two points as polar opposites for effect). 

In any case, I'm glad to be here to chat.  I have several projects cooking now too related to Rollin in some way or another.  These will take various shapes in the next few months...specifically a book and some soundtrack work.  Anyway, glad to meet you all! 

-Matt

Last Edited By: DrFaceHead Oct 25 13 11:05 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Oct 27 13 5:03 AM

Hi Matt, welcome !
Living in France is pretty hard these days haha

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

- Youri Radionow, in "Le lac des morts-vivants"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Oct 27 13 8:04 AM

Ah, pardon the geography...you're right...so let's switch that qualifier to time!  Speaking of horror and fantastique cinema in general (not Rollin only), the height of the bell curve (for me) seems to hover around 1971 - 1974,  before which most wonderful work was still climbing to its heights and after which, less and less truly strange and beautiful work seems to be done by many people.  It's sometimes as if all the world's cultural mavericks were raped of their ideas (often misunderstood anyway) and reduced into a sterile, corporate blender into some sort of gray, sanitized shit-tasting sauce applicable to any dish a studio was willing to serve.  It's because of this I really long for that period...as originality in filmmaking has almost totally fallen under the sword of bad tastes and moral crusaders that mistook almost everything original, necessarily spiteful and purely wonderful for "dangerous" or "horrible"!!!!!   I may be totally wrong on my time-frames here, but the important thing I'm stating is the idea of "the vibe of an era".  That's all I really care about!

Last Edited By: DrFaceHead Oct 27 13 8:07 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 27 13 8:09 AM

Let me just say too...it's no wonder so many filmmakers of the period seem obsessed with topics like the Salem Witch Trials, Loudun, and other "mistaken" folks of bizarre culture and unique spirituality who were then suddenly burned at the stake!  It's like a biographical picture for these directors who were criticized and edited to death until their work was destroyed or assimilated into "the gray sauce".

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 27 13 8:12 AM

It's not really a matter of geography, but a matter of people I would say.
With the crisis, the first political organisation in France is a nationalist extremist political party, and they will probably win the next elections.
We are travelling bad times as you can see, but I know that you're in the same economical situation in America.

"Si demain, elle n'est toujours pas revenue, j'avertirai le maire, et nous ferons une battue"

- Youri Radionow, in "Le lac des morts-vivants"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help